The Big 50!

Today is a very special day...one that for me, is a day I want in my future. Fifty years ago today, my grandparents Lillian and Johney Colledge were married. When I think about marriage, it is a bond between husband and wife and it is the most important thing that we can do on this earth. I feel that for some, in this day and age, marriage is more disposable than it used to be. I have often looked at pictures like the one below and thought that it is such a true statement.
I am sure that my grandparents have gone through those bumps in the road, but they never once thought that they couldn't fix what they had. One of my favorite past times with my grandparents is listening to stories about their childhoods and early lives together. Among my favorite stories is the one about how they met. Once upon a time Johney B. Colledge was called on a mission to Canada. There he started teaching the Rodrigue family, my grandmas family. My grandpa baptized my grandma, and when he got home from his mission, he continued to write to Lillian. My grandpa got permission to go back and visit my grandma at her home, and they then dated long distance through letters. On April 25, 1964 they were married civilly in my grandmas hometown of Sudbury, Canada. A couple weeks later they were sealed for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. The sealing was performed by my grandpas mission president, Thomas S. Monson. My grandparents have been together through sickness, health, two wonderful boys, three granddaughters, and two great granddaughters. They have been so wonderful to me, and I am so grateful to have them in my life. I love them very much. 
It is so wonderful for me to hear the examples they have to share with me about their marriage. Fifty years is a big one, and I feel they need recognition, this is something that doesn't happen with every marriage, and it should be celebrated. We had the opportunity to celebrate with them last week and it was such a great night! Watching my grandparents and the love that they continue to share with one another is so beautiful! I have some of the best grandparents in the universe, and I am so happy for them. I hope they will share many more wonderful years together!

Photos taken at the 50th anniversary party

Comments

  1. Thank you Jessica for your kind and loving thoughts. With commitment and a lot of luck, it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride, some GREAT highs and not so good lows, but what a RIDE it has been. Two great sons, three beautiful granddaughters, and two most precious great granddaughters, and hopefully more great grandbabies... It's not over til the fat lady sings....
    Grandma & Grandpa Colledge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tribute, Jess. I hope to make it there in a few more years (like 35 more). Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September thoughts...

The truth about Anxiety

And Just Like That, They Were Gone…..